8.14.2007

Dr. Who Dat? - Beat Journey

One of my favorite albums of 2006 was Dr. Who Dat?'s (aka Jneiro Jarel) Beat Journey. It was a beautiful instrumental hip-hop album, perfect for an afternoon stroll through the Amazon on a rainy day. Jneiro Jarel is slowly becoming one of my favorites and I am very excited about his new album coming out this month, Craft of the Lost Art, from his "group" Shape of Broad Minds. Other than the music being amazing, Beat Journey also stood out because of its artwork. The designer behind it and much of Lex Record's catalog is none other than EH?.


EH? (or Ehquestionmark) is responsible for most of Lex's artwork. I I remember correctly, the first Lex album I owned was Danger Mouse & Jemini's Ghetto Pop Life. For me, the music did not meet the hype, but the cover art blew me away. Like most of Lex's packaging, it came in a digipak. The cover featured a cartoon cat and mouse rolling in diamonds, printed in gold, black and white. Worth mentioning are the barcodes that EH? turns into a design element, stretching and swirling the lines, something which has become his signature.


As you would expect from a designer who goes by "EH?", I haven't been able to find more personal information on the artist. Although Lex did have news of a art show put on by EH? and a few fellow artists in Bristol, UK called "P-Origins of Pommery".


EH? fortunately has a MySpace. His website has been under construction for more than a year.
More about Lex can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment